When people think about weight loss, some may think just eating less will work. From a scientific perspective, when the calories in are less than calories out this can work. However, what we eat as our calories in is so important! The mindset of eating less many times means skipping breakfast. This can lead to a lack of energy throughout the day and binge eating at night because you haven’t eaten much all day. Skipping breakfast is not an option when low on time, so why not make a nutrient dense smoothie that is easy to take on the go! You can make this in multiple batches for the week.
• 2 cups of fruit: 2 or 3 cups of your favorite fruits: strawberries, bananas, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries etc.
• ½-1 cup chopped greens: dark leafy greens such as kale or spinach have so many key nutrients that many of us miss in our every day diet. These nutrients are a great source of energy to be sustained throughout the day.
• 1-2 scoops of protein powder: depending on the fruits you add, a scoop or two of a protein powder such as a vanilla can add a great boost to meet your daily protein needs!
• 1-2 tablespoons ground flax seed: Other substitutes include flax oil or a fish oil that are great additions to get your Omega-3s!
• Add a spoonful of Greek yogurt to make it a more filling breakfast option.
• Natural peanut or another nut butter is great with bananas and chocolate protein powders if you prefer bananas to other fruits.
Tip: Fruit in the winter isn’t as readily available and is many times more expensive. This summer when you head to the farmer’s market or grocery store, stock up on those specials, clean the fruit and toss it in a freezer bag to use all year long. (You can even keep your leafy greens in a freezer bag too!)